Wednesday, June 23, 2010

iOS 4

I was so excited to hear that, finally, the iOS 4 was ready to download Monday. YEY!
But it wouldn't be until 1 pm, so I had to try not to freak out at work, be a good child, and wait until the afternoon when I could be home to install the upgrade. At the end of the workday, I rushed home and, exhibiting unusual patience, walked my dog first, and then finally sat down to attend to some iPhone download ecstasy.

Proof that it was going to take 7 hours...
But first, my system was telling me that I needed to download the new iTunes. Ok, but no safari thanks. About 20 minutes later...there is iTunes! Next! Yes I want to update! But then..then...my download was telling me it would take 11 hours, then 10, then 7...and for the next 20-25 minutes it was stuck at 7 hours. Wow can there really be that many people and that little bandwith at Apple? Hmm. Could it be a problem with our Wi-Fi? Should I go reset the router? Hm..All of a sudden the download connection crashed. I was left with mouth wide open. I decided to restart my laptop. That might settle some things. Once it was all up again, I tried downloading the blessed, joyous OS 4 again. And this time...it was only going to take 29 minutes. Much more sensible. Except it was...more like an hour and a quarter in true time...

Finally, with new OS downloaded, the installation began...another 10 minutes or so. It was by then about an hour and a half past my bedtime and the headache I had all day was bearing down on my few, remaining brain cells.

When the OS was finally installed I grabbed the phone, unplugged it from my laptop and headed upstairs to crash in my bed. I looked first at playing with the folder feature--drag an icon on top of another and it will create a folder. I got a hang of the folder feature rather quickly, thankfully. But when it came to multitasking...the apps I was trying to get to multitask weren't up to...er...task. I did a quick search and figured that most apps needed to update as well to have the multitasking ability...another couple of minutes to update the apps...my eyes were more than half closed by now.

Precious time gone to Apple. What was I thinking? *yawn* Can't this wait until tomorrow morning?

Well, finally, the apps updated and I was able to begin the multitasking...you open an app, double click the home button, and select other apps to "downsize." I haven't figured out how to just shut down apps instead of automatically placing them in the taskbar...and I can't seem to find that video where they walk through all that stuff...chuck this up to the learning curve I guess.

One thing's emerged since that very exhausting night...I especially like the much, much faster shutter speed on the camera, and the really amazing superzoom feature for closeups. It makes a really big difference for me as I love snapping pix wherever I go.

For those of you of the apple cult...how has your upgrade gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment