Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Note on Gaming Consoles

Playing World of Warcraft last year and Minecraft this year has brought back some of the joy I used to experience as a teenager playing NES and PC videogames. I didn't realize how much I missed the graphics and visuals, and the great storylines. It's similar to reading an engrossing book, but for visual people: you're transported to another time and place and live through your character's eyes and actions.

The more Minecraft let's play videos I see, the more I want to create in my own creative Minecraft world. I love trying to build things that remind me of my old days of using 3D Architect and other similar desktop software back in the 1990s.

I've also started watching some other let's play and plain run-throughs for a variety of videogames. I've been thinking for some time whether I wanted to again enter the world of gaming consoles--my first and only console ever, the original NES, was bought in 1990 by my dad.

 I've been looking around and I think that purchasing a Sony Playstation 3 is a good idea--there are good games for driving, adventure, and first person shooter fans. They have a good, established online network, and they also are bringing out their 4th console so the third one might be a little cheaper right now (teehee).

I looked through XBox and Nintendo information, but to be honest, I love Sony and their laptops and televisions, and I think that using their console is a good idea--at least for me. I may think otherwise after I get the console and start playing, but for now it's a good bet for me after a little bit of research.

I reviewed a variety of retailer websites to see what the pricing structures are like. Bundles are great because they include the console and controller, as well as one or more games to get you started. The hard part was choosing whether I wanted a driving game or Assasins Creed! The retailers I checked were Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, Google Shopping, and Amazon Prime. I decided to get my console through Amazon Prime because it was two day shipping, no tax, and no shipping fee. It beat Wal-Mart's direct-to-home shipping total by at least $10.

So what am I going to do on my PS3 once I get it? I hope to do some driving games and maybe a first shooter. I have been really liking the Assassins Creed trailers on TV and on YouTube so I may try that as well. I've always been curious about Tomb Raider, so I may give it a whirl.

The good thing about playing games these days is that there are a ton of locations where you can rent games rather than making the purchase investment. If you don't like a game or don't really want to keep a game collection with limited space at home, you can just rent and forget about storage or feeling guilty about old unliked games.

There's also a ton of let's play and run-throughs on YouTube for a variety of games, so you can follow through another, more apt player's run and see if you want to follow suit. Some players give great advice and know tips and tricks that make a difference in your game play. These are invaluable resources.

I used to play a ton of PC games in the late 1990s and I am looking forward to enjoying again the distraction and engrossing graphics and visuals--hopefully good story lines too!

No comments:

Post a Comment