Sunday, January 29, 2012

Learning: World of Warcraft

I've been hearing about World of Warcraft, or WOW as it's known by fans, since the late 90s. I finally downloaded the free US starter edition, got an account on US.Battle.net and have generally been kicking butt with my character since Friday afternoon.

I really like the graphics, the lack of gore, and the well-thought out user interface. I find I make progress by having a number of active quests and achieving one at a time and asking for more as soon as possible.

This game is better than the computer games I was used to in the early to late 1990s because there's no complicated gaming the game problem, where I could only make heads or tails by searching out a walk-through and cheat make my way out of the game. Easy finishes are not as fun.

Once you learn to pretty much take on whatever errand you can find, in WOW, you earn great experience points, money, and run into people who ask you whether you want to duel (WTF?! gimme a break!) or join their guild.

I have skipped out on interacting with others just yet, not only to help me focus on what I'm doing, but also because I'm leaving that for later, when I've learned enough about how things work. And have enough experience to be a useful duel partner or ally. I would rather make an educated guesstimate than go blindly and later regret it.

I've been reading the guide on the official website, see battle.net above, and also by looking up particular things on WOWWiki.

So far, I think I've done well in WOW Cataclysm. I created a Draenei Mage female in Baelgun. Her name is Slaeyra and she's already reached level 8. I also tried creating a warrior Draenei, but that flopped so I deleted the character.

If you're ever in our hood and see Slaeyra running off, do say hi ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment