Saturday, April 16, 2011

Learn: Secure Delete Trash in OS X

I had this weird thing happen to my MacBook Pro OSX+ over the last month: everything I put in the trash bin would refuse to budge when I was trying to clear it out.

I finally decided yesterday to visit an Apple store Genius and finally we figured out what it was. I had selected secure delete from the Finder > Preferences > Advanced > Empty Trash Securely

Apparently, when you're deleting securely it takes way longer to delete as it's really scrubbing stuff out. If you delete say five things at a time, it's all groovy. If you have, say 2,000 items *ahem* it just doesn't budge.

Better delete securely a little at a time or just take the secure checkmark off and just do a regular delete.

This was so simple I almost smacked my forehead. Thank Mr. Genius guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment